Tuesday 19 February 2013

First things first

First of all I want to explain who I am.

I'm a portuguese girl (can we still say girl at age 32?) who came to Ireland two years a go.

One of the many challenges of a move from Portugal to Ireland is food. Don't take me wrong, I love irish food, the chips with everything, the fish and chips, the bangers with mash, the burgers, the rashers, the coleslaw, oh my God, the coleslaw. Actually, that's the problem, I like it too much.

In my integration to this country, while I was trying to cope with the weather, the 300 different accents, the driving on the left hand side, I was happily enjoying my food. 22 pounds in a year, that was the result.

I had to do something. I had to learn the tricks of this island food the way I do the mediterranean style we have in Portugal.

I tried many things. I tried using my portuguese tricks, which didn't work as we can't find the same things and brands here. I saw an add on TV, and tried this diet which is based on the principle that we shouldn't eat carbs. Not only I wasn't having my favorite thing in the world, pasta, as I was having terrible headaches at the end of the day. I missed my carbs terribly.

That's when someone at the office told me about Slimming World. It just sounded to good to be truth. I decided to give it a go, last June, as an online member. I lost 11 pounds in three months, while having all the pasta I could get.

I stopped for some stupid reason, regain a few pounds and finally decided to join a group.

This is my fourth week. So far, I've lost 2.5 pounds. I'm delighted that I got back on track again, but, to be honest, I think I could do better.

I decided that blog it about my journey might give the boost I need on my motivation. Writing is something I love, so maybe, it will make me more disciplined. I have never tried to write in English. I'm considering this blog as two birds killed with one stone, improve my SW journey while improving my english.

Please accept my apologies for any grammatical or orthographic error and, please please please, correct me if needed.

Of we go.

 

2 comments:

  1. Good woman!!!
    And, if you have something on your fridge that you shouldn't eat, I can always help you. I can eat everything, no guilt whatsoever!!!

    ReplyDelete